A concentration of qualities
Why is it so mythic?
Oh, not only because it has travelled to the moon – even if, unconsciously, the legend remains inevitably present !
But for it objectively gathers a large amount of qualities (soberness of the lines, readability, reliability and strength...), which constitutes a timeless chronograph.
No doubts also because, in a way, it was ahead of its time. In particular :
- its size classifies it with “reasonable” diameter watches ;
- and thanks to a caliber that, further than its legendary strength, can afford to be harmonious (we can even say beautiful) and thus interesting to be watched.
Which is an advantage in those times when every one wants to see the mechanism works.
A chronograph both functional and elegant
And eventually because of “tiny details” that makes this watch a functional chronograph without sacrificing its elegance :
- the disposition of the sub-dials at 3-6-9 (more comfortable to the eyes than 6-9-12);
- the beautiful lyre lugs (name given to this shape of lugs because of their similitude with the music instrument)
- or the refined hands and markers.
A multitask watch
The Speedmaster is one of those sport watches that are totally wearable with a suit, if accompanied with a leather strap.
And yes, the Moonwatch (an affectionate nickname given by the enthusiasts) is one of these watches that one simple strap transforms without distorting its personality : it suits with a steel strap, simple leather, crocodile leather, Nato, etc...
It is undoubtedly the peculiarity of a well-thought watch to have this polyvalence.
An excellent value for money
But you may tell me that this marvel crowned with such a legend must be very expensive !
Not even, can you believe that ?
The Speedmaster remains at a reachable cost for a chronograph of almost manufacture. Because the Lemania 1873 that the Speedmaster uses, without being an exclusive caliber (but almost, Lemania have been merged with Omega for enough time to be considered like that), still remains one of the most well-thought chronograph movement.
It is the legacy of this old school where calibers produced were efficient AND elegant.
Of course, its conception begins to be obsolete and some brands offer nowadays more modern movement.
But in a very different price range.
The Speedmaster remains an affordable icon, which is not the least of its qualities.
Omega never gets fooled : if, during the course of time, multiples variations appeared, but the original Speedmaster is still in the brochure.
The + :
- a timeless watch
- a chronograph function that is still popular
- excellent value for money
The – :
- I wish I could take it on the beach
- a not original watch ?
- still thinking about it...
Further information :
- journalist's wrist size = 17,5 cm